Nearly 30 restaurants are expected at the third annual Denver Food & Wine Classic this Sunday, August 26 between 1:00 and 5:00 p.m., at the Pepsi Center grounds. I would be more excited about this event if there weren’t so many chains (including The Cheesecake Factory, Maggiano’s Little Italy, Nik-N-Willy’s Pizza, PF Chang’s, Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse and Ted’s Montana Grill). These include some of the better chains, but still…
The best part will be the Steel Chef competition, between 1:15 and 4:30 — which sounds as if each chef will cook separately rather than head-to-head. Slated to compete are Jennifer Jasinski, owner/chef of Rioja and Bistro Vendome, Denver; Ian Kleinman, chef de cuisine of O’s Steak & Seafood in the Westin Westminster; and Max Mackissock of Vita Restaurant, whose location I don’t know.
At the Wine Cafe, Trinchero Family Estates and distributor W.J. Deutsch & Sons will pour. Jim Beam and other high-test booze is also sponsoring. Event tickets are $50 and are available at several area wine and liquor stores.
Meanwhile, in addition to the yesterday’s a post about Alba Ristorante debuting in Boulder and a recent one about Wolfgang Puck’s Spago coming to Beaver Creek for the start of the ski season. Here are some other happenings on the local restaurant scene. I haven’t been to any of these yet, so consider this informational only:
- Chez Thuy reopened after a remodel. 2655 28th Street, Boulder; 303-442-1700.
- French 250 is the latest occupant of the space that long housed the much-loved Bistro Adde Brewster; 250 Steele Street, Denver; 303-331-0250,
- Izakaya Den has opened in one of Denver’s delightful little neighborhood commercial centers; 1518 South Pearl Street, Denver; 303-777-0691.
- Tambien Cantina has replaced Sketch, also in Cherry Creek North and also in the same building as French 250. 250 Steele Street, Denver; 303-333-17633.
- Table Mesa is new in Denver’s southern suburbs; 7301 South Santa Fe Drive, Littleton; 303- 962-8888.
- Theorie is the new name for a downtown Denver restaurant that was originally (and briefly) called The Abbey; 1920 Market Street, Denver; the phone number might be 303-296-2255.