1515 Restaurant and Devil’s Thumb Ranch to host some of the best.
The James Beard House in New York is one of America’s culinary holy places, and the James Beard Foundation located there is the keeper of the flame. Dining there is a WOW! experience, no matter who is cooking, and the foundation is increasingly spreading the epicurean wealth with events elsewhere.
Coming right up (October 20) is the JBF’s Celebrity Chef Tour at 1515 Restaurant in Denver, when chef/restaurateur Gene Tang hosts the following kitchen wizards in what I understand is the only Denver event this year:
- Gene Tang, Restaurant 1515, Denver
- Jeff Cleary, Grateful Bread, Denver
- Stephen Fried, Gullo Specialty Foods, Hicksville, NY
- Laurent Mechin, St Julien Hotel & Spa, Boulder
- Mark Monette, Flagstaff House, Boulder
- Kevin Nashan, The Peacemaker and Sidney Street Cafe, St. Louis
- Martin Rios, Restaurant Martín, Santa Fe
- Mindy Segal, Mindy’s HotChocolate, Chicago
JBF Award–Winning Pastry Chef
Click here to buy tickets, which are $115 per person with U.S. Bank FlexPerks Rewards and $175 for everyone else for the dinner, paired wines, gratuities and taxes.
…And at Devil’s Thumb Ranch
On Saturday, November 19, Devil’s Thumb Ranch in Taberbash hosts the sixth annual James Beard Foundation Fundraising Dinner, which in format is similar to the Celebrity Chef Tour. Its purpose is to support the JBF’s scholarship fund.
This year’s event will be held in memoriam of the late Chef Evan Treadwell, who was killed in a boating accident on September 6. Like the mission of the James Beard Foundation, Chef Treadwell was dedicated to mentoring professional chefs. His legacy will be honored by his peers from Denver and by the culinary team at Devil’s Thumb Ranch, who — like Chef Treadwell — demonstrate talent, expertise and most importantly, passion for what they do. Their inventive dishes will be shared with guests, elegantly paired with wines from Joseph Phelps Winery of Napa, presented by Master Sommelier Damon Ornowski.
Participating chefs are:
- Alex Seidel, Fruition, Denver
- Justin Brunson, Ole Major, Denver
- Jeff Osaka, Osaka Ramen, Denver
- Paul Reilly, Beast + Bottle, Denver
- Natalie, Basarov, Devil’s Thumb Ranch
Tickets cost $150 per person for JBF winners and $200 for the rest of us. Call 970-726-5633 to reserve.
Devil’s Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa is at 3530 County Road 83, Tabernash; 970-726-5632.