Work Options for Women fundraiser slated for May 5.
Work Options for Women, a Denver not-for-profit that trains impoverished women to cook their way out of poverty or off welfare, and into jobs (even careers) in food service, holds its 10th annual WomenCook! fundraiser on Monday, May 5. Although the late, great Noel Cunningham conceived of the idea, it is Denver’s extraordinary women chefs (or extraordinary chefs who happen to be women, as I prefer to think of them) who carry on with his legacy. Some of the best of the best will be preparing their specialties for the 2014 walk-around dinner.
- Sandra Adams, Grand Hyatt Hotel Denver.
- Lisa Bailey, D Bar Desserts.
- Kathleen Kenny Davia, Gateaux.
- Craig Dixon, Cafe Options, a hands-on breakfast and lunch restaurant staffed by Work Options grads.
- Rachel Kesley, Watercourse Foods.
- Sheila Lucero, JAX Fish House.
- Aniedra Nichols, Elway’s Cherry Creek.
- Mary Nguyen, Parallel Seventeen, Street Kitchen Asian Bistro and Olive & Finch
- Summer Polson, Project Angel Heart
- Dana Rodriguez, Work & Class
- Tessa Schuler, WOW Café, another Work Options project.
- Samm Sherman, Linger and Root Down.
- Carrie Shores, Table 6
- Alex White, Jonesy’s Eat Bar.
Not Here This Year
WomenCook! conflicts with this year’s James Beard Award dinners in New York.
- Jennifer Jasinski, Rioja, Bistro Vendome and Euclid Hall. She is a potential James Beard Award winner and will be in New York, along with her restaurants’ publicist, longtime Work Options board member and Denver restaurant consultant John Imbergamo. She was a finalist in last season’s “Top Chef Masters” and designated her $35,000 in winnings to Work Options. I suspect the organization is rooting for her to bring home Beard honors but wishes she were on hand at WomenCook! to receive in-person public thanks.
- Yasmin Lozada Hissom, Spuntino, also in the running for Beard honors.
- Elise Wiggins, Panzano. She will be leading a cooking tour of Italy, and her stand-in sous-chef promises rabbit gnocchi with marinated slow-roasted tomato fines herbes, Gorgonzola leeks, mushrooms and shallots.
WomenCooks! takes place from 6 to 8:30 p.m. onMay 7 at Temple Emanuel, 51 Grape Street, Denver. Tickets are $125 and are available online. FoMoInfo: 720- 944-1917.