Diners select their Denver & Boulder favorites.
Dining Out magazine — mostly menus but some features too — invited readers to select what they considered the best in various categories. Like all such reader selections, the results are heavily weighted toward what’s “hot” and “in” now, not necessarily the best. How, for example, would Black Cat and/or its sister restaurant, Bramble & Hare be left off the farm-to-table list? And not to put to fine a point on it, but Chez Thuy is not really Chinese and Sherpa’s is not really Indian. But here, with that caution, is the Prime Picks list. Clicking on a category should bring up details on the winner:
- Best Restaurant: Acorn. Runners-Up: Mercantile Dining & Provisions, Panzano,
- Best Chef: Alex Seidel (Fruition, Mercantile Dining & Provisions).
Runners-Up: Elise Wiggins (Panzano), Jennifer Jasinski (rioja, Bistro Vendôme, Euclid Hall, Stoic and Genuine).
- Best New Restaurant (Opened in 2015). Nocturne Jazz & Supper Club: Runners-Up: Ophelia’s Electric Soapbox, Avanti Food and Beverage.
- Best Farm-to-Table: The Kitchen. Runners-Up: Fruition, Potager.
- Best Bar: Williams & Graham: Runners-Up: Argyll Whiskey Beer, The Cooper Lounge.
- Best Italian: Osteria Marco. Runners-Up: Panzano, Il Posto.
- Best Mexican: Pinche Taqueria. Runners-Up: Lola Mexican Fish House, Tamayo, Comida Cantina (tied three ways).
- Best Chinese: Star Kitchen. Runners-Up: Zoe Ma Ma, John Holly’s Asian Bistro.
- Best Indian: Little India Restaurant & Bar. Runners-Up: Biju’s Little Curry Shop, Yak & Yeti Restaurant and Brewpub.
- Best Date Night Spot: Linger. Runners-Up: Nocturne Jazz & Supper Club, Sarto’s Social Italian Eatery.
- Best Vegetarian/Vegan: City, O’ City. Runners-Up: True Food Kitchen, Vesta Dipping Grill.
- Best Breakfast: Snooze an A.M. eatery. Runners-Up: Sassafras American Eatery, Garden Terrace at The Inverness Hotel.
- Best Seafood: Jax Fish House & Oyster Bar. Runners-Up: Stoic and Genuine, Ocean Prime.
- Best Pizza: Marco’s Coal-Fired Pizzeria. Runners-Up: Cart-Driver, Fat Sully’s New York Pizza.
- Best Burger: The Cherry Cricket. Runners-Up: Park Burger, TAG Burger Bar, Bad Daddy’s Burger Bar (tied three ways).
- Best Sushi: Sushi Den. Runners-Up: Sushi Sasa, Izakaya Den.
- Best Ramen: Osaka Ramen. Runners-Up: Uncle, Bones.
- Best Barbecue: Moe’s Original Bar B Que. Runners-Up: Jezebel’s Southern Bistro + Bar, Brothers BBQ.
- Best Ice Cream: Little Man Ice Cream. Runners-Up: Sweet Cow Ice Cream, Liks Ice Cream.
- Best Cooking Classes: Cook Street School of Culinary Arts
Runners-Up: Panzano, Stir Cooking School.