USA Today’s selections puts upcoming festival in the spotlight.
Just as a prelude to the upcoming Colorado Mountain Wine Festival (September 14-17) comes word that it was voted the best wine festival in the U.S. by USA Today’s 10Best website. That’s right: THE BEST in the whole country, even beating out New York and Chicago.
A panel of wine and travel experts nominated 20 of the best festivals celebrating wine, wine culture and wine tourism across the country’s top wine-making regions. The panel included Jill Barth, an internationally published wine writer and journalist; Jil Child, partner and co-owner of Wine Tours of the World; and Karen MacNeil, one of the foremost wine experts in the U.S. Readers pared the nominee list by half to come up with the 10 winners.
The Top 10
(In addition to being thrilled that a Colorado festival took the top spot, I’m happy that Charlottesville, Virginia, was voted #3 — good news for a city recently in the headlines for terrible reasons.)
- Colorado Mountain Winefest – Palisade, Colo.
- Vintage Ohio – Kirtland, Ohio
- Virginia Wine Summit – Charlottesville, Va.
- Finger Lakes Wine Festival – Watkins Glen, N.Y.
- Chicago Gourmet – Chicago
- Hawaii Food & Wine Festival – Honolulu
- BottleRock Napa Valley – Napa, Calif.
- Taste of Sonoma – Sonoma, Calif.
- New York City Wine & Food Festival – New York
- Hudson Valley Wine & Food Fest – Rhinebeck, N.Y.
Click here for a list of participating wineries and here for a schedule of events, which include wine country tours, tastings, pairings and the big “Festival in the Park” on the 16th. It is the state’s largest and oldest wine festival featuring more than 55 Colorado wineries, live music, a grape stomp, live demonstrations and seminars.