Top restaurants according to Eater Denver, the local component of a national foodie website
A lifetime ago, long before online was the way to search for information, I compiled a doorstop-weight tome called Winners: The Blue Ribbon Encyclopedia of Awards, which listed hundreds of honors from the Pillsbury Bake-Off to the Nobel Peace Prize. I am happy that the days of the Selectric typewriter and cut-and-paste-paper compilations are over, but the project has made me aware of the importance of honors. So here’s another list of restaurant recognition: the 2012 Eater Awards.
Denver is one of 19 cities with a local “Eater” site, each of which annually nominates the finest and most interesting chefs, operators and characters in five major local categories: Restaurant of the Year, So Hot Right Now Restaurant, Chef of the Year, Bartender of the Year and Stone Cold Stunner. Eater readers then voted to narrow the field to a final three in each category. From that final three, the Eater editorial team chose the winner. The Eater National brain trust then got together to decide the national winners for those categories. In addition to these main stage winners, said Eater editorial team has named worthy winners in more specialized categories, for myriad notable achievements.
Eater Denver Awards 2012
- Restaurant of the Year Nominees: Linger, Frasca Food and Wine, ChoLon, the Squeaky Bean, Oak at Fourteenth Finalists: Linger, Frasca Food and Wine, the Squeaky Bean Winner: the Squeaky Bean
- Chef of the Year: Nominees: Steve Redzikowski, Max MacKissock, Matt Selby, Hunter Pritchett, Jorel Pierce Finalists: Max MacKissock, Matt Selby, Hunter Pritchett Winner: Max MacKissock
- So Hot Right Now Nominees: the Squeaky Bean, Uncle, Williams & Graham, Ace Eat Serve, Oak at Fourteenth Finalists: the Squeaky Bean, Ace Eat Serve, Oak at Fourteenth Winner: Oak at Fourteenth
- Bartender of the Year Nominees: Randy Layman, Bryan Dayton, Ryan Conklin, Kevin Burke, Courtney Wilson Finalists: Randy Layman, Bryan Dayton, Courtney Wilson Winner: Randy Layman
- Stone Cold Stunner Nominees: Z Cuisine & À Côté, Central Bistro & Bar, Larkburger, the Kitchen Denver, Beatrice & Woodsley Finalists: Central Bistro & Bar, the Kitchen Denver, Beatrice & Woodsley Winner: Beatrice & Woodsley
- Empire Builder of the Year: Frank Bonanno
Click here for the full rundown of winners across the country on the Eater National network.